FINDING MY WAY





In high school, I studied journalism, was on the yearbook staff, I took creative writing + photography. I excelled in History and English, I loved drawing colorful notes on notebook paper for my friends. You know the ones - Crayola markers using the hand lettering techniques that only a high schooler could. I took my time on these notes. Every letter had to be drawn out, shaped and colored in just right. Then the letter had to be folded just perfect before they could be passed to a friend or slipped into a locker. I loved my journalism class + being a part of the yearbook staff. I loved going to different events to capture the perfect image + write up the perfect story to match that image. And oh my gosh I was in love with creative writing! I'm sure my notebook is somewhere around here-if I can find it, I MAY share something for some giggles. And I loved photography. I actually learned about composition, shooting in manual, and developing film. Then I went to college and somehow ended up studying business and lost it all. 


How in the world did this happen?? That's the question that I'm asking myself today because although I have learned so much since graduating and being employed full-time, being able to look back and reflect on the things I enjoyed before being slapped with reality, I realize something just isn't adding up. And it's interesting that I've been working toward to figuring out what I really want to do since 2011 (when I started thinking about grad school), that everything is coming back around full circle. I'm blogging, I've picked up a camera again, I signed up for that calligraphy course that I still need to take + I'm painting. I've also started journaling + I'm thinking about a creative writing course once grad school is over in a few weeks + life settles down. 

Crazy how that happens - how things come full circle, especially when you're meant to be doing something different. My sister started off as a bio major, switched to accounting, worked for a few years, and now she's back in school pursuing her first + true passion, to become a doctor. I'm still working out the kinks, but I'm finding my way. It seems that sometimes to find your way, you must go back to the beginning. So that's what I'm going to do! 

What is something that you loved/love to do that maybe slipped away or you don't have as much time to devote to it as you'd like? How can you find your way back to it? 

4 comments:

  1. Good on you! I definitely know what you mean - I wanted to be an author since I was about 7yo, and was already creating something. But then I 'grew up', realised that it was a hard industry to make a living in, and pursued something more 'normal'. Now, I have two degrees, am unemployed, and am at a real loss. So, I'm trying to turn my passions into something that I can make a living from... It's hard, and I haven't made much headway, but I'm working on it! I completely understand where you're coming from and admire you for going for it. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Something similar happened to me... I was doing the corporate thing (and really good at it... making the most money I'd ever made in my career) and realized- I am so far from what I had always hoped for myself... to be creative... to feel my work with my heart and soul... to have more happy days than stressful ones. This was not the case and, for me, the right thing to do was to say goodbye to corporate and jump into the creative. I'm still learning... exploring. But you know? I'm happy. I may not be getting the fat paychecks anymore but for me, in this chapter of my life right now, that's okay. (Clearly I realize this decision does not work for everyone)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think that is what matters the most. Money is definitely nice, but happiness is more important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Good luck to you as well!

    ReplyDelete

I read all comments and will reply as well! Thank you so much for your comment!