The Thankful Project Day 21: Something That's Easy to Take for Granted

The Thankful Project

Today's prompt for The Thankful Project is "something that's easy to take for granted".


I've been trying to figure out what I could write about today-what are some of the things that I take for granted? What are some of the things that other people take for granted? And then it occurred to me:

Freedom

On Tuesday I attended a conference in Austin, Texas (I'll post information on that later) where Leymah Gbowee was featured as one of the keynote speakers.  This was a very moving speech-before signing up for this conference, I had never heard of her. She is one of the women who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2011. During her keynote speech, she spoke about her fight for the safety of women and for women's rights in her home country Liberia, and now the world.

This made me think of some of the things I take for granted, especially as an American.

Women's Rights: While I think there are still things we face as women, and things I face as a female minority, it is nothing compared to what women around the world face who have their choices taken from them and aren't allowed the freedom of having their own voice and forging their own path.

Freedom of Speech: How awesome is it that I can type and say pretty much what I want on the Internet without being labeled as someone who has committed treason against her government! And how awesome is it that our access to certain sites isn't revoked, or our access to broadcast television isn't limited!

Freedom of Religion: This is a biggie for me. I am a Christian and I have heard on more occasions than I would wish to hear, that Christians are being persecuted for sharing the gospel. I am glad I live in a country where I am free to worship the Lord in my own home, in church, and even in Starbucks.

Freedom to love who I love: Can you imagine having an arranged marriage?? I surely can't!!

Not needing my husband's permission: I can have my own dreams, my own business, my own property, etc. and don't need a man's permission to do so! Now I will be doing everything in partnership with my future spouse, but I can't imagine being left with nothing if my husband died - having to find another man to provide for me- nuts!!

Modern Technology: Clean Water, Unlimited Electricity, Telephones and Paved Roads - what we would consider some of our basic needs...enough said.

I am thankful to live in a country where I have so many opportunities. I am thankful that my parents came here from the Caribbean and my sisters and I have had the opportunities that we have. While I may not be exactly where I want to be, I am thankful that there is nothing standing in my way to stop me, no one to force things on me or take my voice from me. I am thankful that we all get the chance to make the lives we want here in America.
What about you? What is something that you take for granted? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read all comments and will reply as well! Thank you so much for your comment!